Links to history, mythology, amazing places,
and of course, fantastic books.
- Encyclopedia Iranica: An on-line encyclopedia of Iranian history, culture and folklore.
Religion and Belief
- No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam by Reza Aslan: An approachable and concise history of Islam, with an early chapter on pre-Islamic religion in the Arabian Peninsula.
- Legends of the Fire Spirits: Jinn and Genies from Arabia to Zanzibar by Robert Lebling: Tales and references to the Jinn.
- Speak, Bird, Speak Again: Palestinian Arab Folktales by Ibrahim Muhawi, Sharif Kanaana, and Alan Dundes: A collection of folktales from Palestine’s oral storytelling tradition.
- Folktales from Iraq edited by E.S. Stevens: Stories about the Jinn and a host of other creatures from Baghdad and beyond.
Travel and Geography
- La Mamounia: The splendid luxury and romance of one of the most famous hotels in the world. An amazing place to stay.
- The American Colony Hotel Jerusalem: Hidden gardens, delicious food and an intriguing underground bar straight out of a spy novel.
Art, Literature, and Poetry
- The Shahnama of Shah Tahmasp: The Persian Book of Kings (Metropolitan Museum of Art) by Sheila Canby (an illustrated translation of the epic poem by Abolqasem Ferdowsi): A gorgeous coffee table version of the Persian epic, with stunning color plates.
- The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition) by Muhsin Mahdi (Editor), Husain Haddawy: An acclaimed translation of the classic stories, which are so much more than Aladdin and a lamp.
- Alt rock from Lebanon – Mashrou’ Leila’s “Djin”. Great writing music!
Food (wouldn’t want to leave this one out!)
- Fig and Quince: Mouth-watering website of Persian food and recipes.
- The Sweets of Araby: Enchanting recipes from the Tales of the 1001 Arabian Nights Paperback by Muna Salloum and Leila Salloum Elias: A charming illustrated book of stories from “1001 Arabian Nights”, paired with delicious dessert recipes.